Kts3boys:

A blog a day keeps the therapist away.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Pjs

Someone asked about Micah wearing pjs all the time, some of you already know and can just skip over this. I am just a lazy mom and don't change him. Ok, Micah has severe eczema from head to toe. Literally it starts on his scalp and ends right at his middle toe. Sometimes it oozes, sometimes its not as bad. But it always itches. The footed pjs keep him from really ripping apart his skin, in hopes to help let the sores heal. We have about 10-12 pairs some duplicates, but all with feet. We are supposed to expose his skin to the sun but also we aren't supposed to let him scratch at all. I can't keep Micah from picking his nose, standing on the dishwasher door, or dumping water all over the carpet, much less from doing something his body is begging to have done. The rashes are insanely itchy and adults have a hard time not scratching them. They would rather feel the relief of scratching, even if it bleeds and oozes. We try to control some with medication, eliminating foods (see the allergy post- it causes a lot of his itching) and keep things less stressful for him. I could go on forever about his eczema, it consumes so much of our life, but I'd end up crying if I really told you all about it. I'd love to dress him in normal clothes, but he'll just rip at his skin and I'd end up putting the pjs back on. Sarah Kosin said one day he's going to look at pictures of himself and wonder why in the world he hunted for Easter eggs in his pjs. But you have to admit, he looks awfully cute wearing boots, shoes, and regular shirts over the pjs. I am sure everyone would rather see the pjs then the skin:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This just breaks my heart! Micah you are a brave little boy to put up with so much. We are praying that your new Doctor will have wisdom to help alleviate the symptons and your body can heal.

Sarah and Mike said...

His poor little legs look so painful and itchy. Do the doctors think it will get better with time?
I just thought Micah was a little "Super Fudge" (by Judy Blume) and insisted on wearing PJ's all day!