Kts3boys:

A blog a day keeps the therapist away.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mommy's latest obsession

Not really that I am obsessed but I guess the fact that at age two we switched over to cloth diapers is just odd. Its not like we are saving money, and really, we aren't doing it for the environment. Nice idea but I think after three babies, we did our share of littering up the land fill. Did you know that it takes 500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose? Well, my regrets to our future great x 5 grandchildren. We did make the switch to help Micahs eczema and I must admit washing these things can be gross, but they are very cute. Too cute that I find myself regretting putting Micah in the cute HappyHeiny's with embroidered Curious George just to have him blow out the diaper. But the cheap prefolds and Gerber covers never get this treatment. I guess that's why we also aren't doing this to save money- there are some very cute and expensive cloth diapers! The funniest part is no one will ever see his cute diapers since he's still in footy PJ's (thanks to Lydia for the good finds!). None the less, I still like to wash and fold and organize and read up about them and then search down the cutest ones. Oddly, Gabe and Caleb enjoy the grossness of watching Mommy clean out the dirty diapers. So now with just a few more months of diapering left, I figured I'd become addicted to making them too. Four pocket diapers all sewn up, and I have the makings for about 8 more. It takes me a while to sew with Micah helping with the scissors and sewing machine. They can't inforce child labor laws in your basement. I figure that when I finish them, Micah will be ready to potty train. Hopefully by then I will have something new to obsess over. The rest of the house might be a mess, but the diapers are all freshly washed and organized. No one ever said Mommies were sane.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie -- Not to offend you, but reading this reminded me how happy I am that I haven't had to change poopy diapers for over a year :)

Of course I have dog doo-doo to pick up in the yard, but I mostly make the kiddos do that :)

Katie said...

Kelly- no offense taken. My day will come- in 15 1/2 years Micah will be 18, I'll be 46 and ready for my first cruise. I am sure you can beat my record, but so far I have had diapers for 6 1/2 years straight, no breaks. This is the quote I found to get over the ick factor in cleaning diapers:
"Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom." And then someday I'll be quoting MKL "free at last, free at last!"
:) :) :)

Sarah and Mike said...

I can't help but to notice the "I am Jesus' Little Lamb" calligraphed piece that was surely given to you by my mother, stuck in the back of that basket! We got one too...

PS-i can't believe you're making your own diapers. Also, its been